Retro-muscular (Below Muscle) Implant Placement
If you are seeking to enhance the shape, size, and symmetry of your bust, Dr. Patricia Berbari and the team at Centre Chirurgical De La Capitale can use breast augmentation surgery to help achieve your goals. Dr. Berbari will work closely with you during the planning process to create a fully personalized treatment plan based on your unique desires. In addition to having your choice of silicone or saline breast implants, you will also be able to decide on whether the implants will be positioned above your pectoral muscle (retro-glandular) or below (retro-muscular).
Dr. Berbari often recommends below muscle implant placement for patients with naturally small breasts. When you visit our Gatineau plastic surgery practice for a consultation, we will review the unique benefits of each placement location to help determine the approach that will best achieve your goals. To schedule an appointment, contact our practice today.
Performing Below Muscle Implant Placement
Below muscle placement is available for both silicone and saline types of breast implants. After administering anesthesia and sedation as needed to keep you comfortable, Dr. Berbari will carefully create an incision into your breast tissue. Thanks to her outstanding skill, the resulting scar will be as discreet as possible. Next, she will lift and adjust your pectoral muscle to create room for the implant. The implant will then be positioned below the muscle and the incision will be closed.
Advantages of Below Muscle Implant Placement
Retro-muscular implant placement offers several benefits. Dr. Berbari may recommend below muscle implant placement because this technique:
- Can provide a highly realistic result for women who have a small amount of natural breast tissue (typically those with a "B" cup or lower)
- Results in less instances of capsular contracture, which occurs when scar tissue constricts around an implant
- Minimizes the risk of visible rippling around implants
- Minimizes the risk of implants shifting position over time
- Works well when performed in combination with a breast lift
We can review the full advantages of this approach during your breast augmentation consultation.
Below muscle implant placement has helped millions of breast augmentation patients achieve their goals. However, there are some potential disadvantages involved:
- Below muscle implant placement requires a more extensive surgical procedure than above muscle placement, and patients typically experience slightly longer recovery times.
- Implants can appear warped when the pectoral muscles are flexed.
- Implants can sit higher on the chest for the first several months following surgery until the pectoral muscle relaxes.
- Depending on your muscular configuration and body type, there may be limits on the size of implants that can be used.
To help determine if below muscle implant placement may be right for you, Dr. Berbari will examine your breasts, review your medical records, and discuss your preferred implant and incision type.
Schedule an Appointment to Learn More
Breast augmentation with below muscle implant placement can help you achieve the full, shapely bust that you desire. To learn more about below muscle implant placement, schedule a consultation with Dr. Berbari today.
“Dr. Berbari is an excellent doctor - the best there is.” Carol, Plastic Surgery Patient