Learn More about Saline Breast Implants
Before undergoing breast augmentation with Dr. Patricia Berbari, one of the most important decisions you will make is the choice of which type of breast implants to receive. In addition to cohesive silicone gel types, we also offer saline breast implants at our Gatineau practice to meet the diverse needs of our patients. It is important to understand that neither type is considered the best. Rather, the breast implants that are right for you will depend on your unique desires. To learn more about saline breast implants, schedule a consultation with Dr. Berbari today.
Receiving Saline Breast Implants
A saline implant consists of an empty silicone shell that is filled with a sterile saltwater solution. If you choose to receive saline implants, Dr. Berbari will first insert the silicone shells through incisions along your nipples, down the breasts, or along the creases where your breasts meet your abdomen. The implants can be positioned either above the pectoral muscle or below it, and Dr. Berbari will explain the benefits of each technique before undergoing treatment to help you decide. Once the implants are in place, she will use a special tube to fill them to the desired volume. Dr. Berbari will complete your procedure by closing and cleaning your incisions.
Benefits of Saline Implants
Patients who choose to receive saline implants can enjoy a range of unique benefits, including:
- Minimized health risks: In the event that a saline implant ruptures, patients will typically know immediately and the body can absorb the saltwater without any ill effects.
- Smaller incisions: Saline implants are inserted empty, so they can often be placed through smaller incisions than pre-filled silicone types.
- More flexible sizing: Since the implants are filled during treatment, Dr. Berbari can make adjustments to precisely customize their size. This can be especially helpful for patients who are seeking to correct breast asymmetry.
- Lower age requirements: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) requires patients undergoing breast augmentation with silicone implants to be at least 22 years old, but saline implants are available for women 18 years and older.
In addition, saline implants also offer all of the typical benefits of breast augmentation, including a shapelier figure and boosted confidence. Dr. Berbari can further detail the advantages of saline implants for your particular case during your initial consultation.
Saline implants are generally considered safer than available alternatives because they require shorter incisions and do not pose any heath risks if they rupture. However, saline implants still have the same general surgical risks associated with breast augmentation, including:
- Soreness and discomfort following surgery, which typically dissipates over time
- Numbing or heightened sensitivity in and around the nipples
- Capsular contracture, which is a condition that occurs when scar tissue constricts around an implant
You can minimize your risk of complications by choosing an experienced plastic surgeon like Dr. Berbari.
Learn More about Saline Implants
We offer multiple options for patients who want to enhance the shape, size, and proportion of their busts. To discover if saline implants are right for you, reach out to our practice today.