Retro-glandular (Above Muscle) Implant Placement
Dr. Patricia Berbari and our team offer breast augmentation surgery to help you experience a fuller, more attractive bust. When planning your procedure, there are several aspects that will be customized based on your goals. In addition to choosing between silicone and saline breast implants, you will also have the choice between retro-glandular (above the pectoral muscle) and retro-muscular (below the pectoral muscle) implant placement. We will review the unique advantages of below muscle and above muscle implant placement during your breast augmentation consultation at our Gatineau practice to determine the approach that is right for you. To schedule an appointment, contact our practice today.
Performing Above Muscle Implant Placement
No matter which placement location you select, Dr. Berbari will begin your procedure by providing sedation and anesthesia to ensure your comfort. She will then create incisions in your breast tissue. Dr. Berbari can use a number of different incision techniques based on your needs, and her exceptional surgical skill will help to minimize the appearance of resulting scars. After creating the incisions, she will insert your implants and position them below glandular tissue but above your pectoral muscle. She will complete the procedure by closing and cleaning your incisions.
Benefits of Above Muscle Implant Placement
This surgical technique offers numerous advantages. Many patients choose above muscle implant placement because this approach:
- Typically allows for simpler surgery since the pectoral muscle does not need to be modified
- Often leads to a shorter recovery period, allowing patients to get back to work, school, and other activities more quickly
- Can provide extremely natural-looking results, so long as patients have adequate breast tissue to properly disguise the implants (below muscle implant placement may be more ideal for patients with smaller natural breasts)
- Allows implants to better maintain their shape since they will not be affected when pectoral muscles are flexed
- Can usually accommodate larger implants than below muscle implant placement
- Can create cleavage more easily than below muscle placement since implants can be positioned in closer proximity to each other
During your initial breast augmentation consultation, Dr. Berbari will help determine the implant placement technique that is best-suited for you. The type of implant selected and the incision being performed will also factor into this decision.
Breast augmentation with above muscle implant placement — like all surgical procedures — involves some degree of risk. When compared to retro-muscular implant placement, patients who undergo above muscle breast implant placement face a higher risk of:
- Visible rippling around the implants
- Sagging breast tissue
- Capsular contracture (tightening of scar tissue around an implant)
- Complications with future breast lifts
Dr. Berbari will thoroughly review the risks associated with above muscle implant placement and explain the steps we take to minimize them.
Schedule an Appointment to Learn More
At Centre Chirurgical De La Capitale, we will design a fully individualized breast augmentation treatment plan based on your unique goals. Schedule a consultation with Dr. Berbari today to learn more about breast augmentation with above muscle implant placement.