Is Bruising after Plastic Surgery Normal?
Deciding to have plastic surgery to enhance your features and body contours can be an exciting, yet nerve-wracking experience. Knowing what to expect beforehand can help bring peace of mind, as well as provide you with the necessary steps to ensure a smooth recovery.
Before each body contouring procedure is performed, Dr. Patricia Berbari will meet with each patient at our Ottawa, ON practice to explain the procedure in detail, taking the time to answer any questions, as well address how to care for your body after surgery. Proper aftercare can help reduce swelling and bruising after plastic surgery.
How to Prepare before Your Surgery
With the advancements in surgical techniques being made each year, surgeons today are able to reduce discomfort and scarring. Although most bruising and swelling is inevitable, having a trusted and experienced surgeon, such as Dr. Berbari perform your procedure will ensure a smooth recovery and successful results.
In addition, there are pre-operative steps to take to help minimize side effects, such as:
- Avoid Blood Thinners: Stopping the use of certain medications and supplements, such as aspirin, NSAIDS (Advil and Aleve), ginkgo, and ginseng will prevent your blood from thinning.
- Keep a Healthy Diet: Eating a balanced diet and avoiding foods with salicylates known for increasing bruising, such as berries, almonds, peaches, limes, lemons, and vinegar can also help.
- Avoid Cigarettes and Tobacco Products: Smoking can slow the healing process and increase your risk for prolonged bruising. Even if you do smoke, try to avoid smoking for two to three weeks before and after surgery.
- Take Herbal Supplements: Taking certain herbal supplements, such as arnica and bromelain a few days before and after surgery has been known to reduce bruising.
What to Do after Surgery
Each patient responds to surgery differently, so it’s best not to compare your recovery to someone else. In addition, the type of procedure performed will also determine the complexity of your recovery. Someone who has liposuction performed will traditionally bruise less than someone who undergoes a tummy tuck.
Bruising is completely normal and a natural part of the healing process. The degree to which you bruise can be limited by carefully following your post-surgical instructions given to you after surgery. This will include:
- Keeping the area elevated to promote healthy blood flow and prevent swelling
- Emptying any surgical drains
- Resting and limiting your physical activity
- Avoiding strenuous activity, such as heavy lifting and bending for at least four to six weeks after surgery
- Wearing your compression garment as directed
- Consuming a healthy diet filled with Vitamin K-enriched foods
- Drinking at least eight cups of water a day to flush your body of unhealthy toxins
- Applying ice packs or cold compresses for the first 24 to 48 hours after surgery, and then switching to heat after the first few days
- Avoiding smoking and other tobacco products
- Taking medications as prescribed
- Attending follow-up appointments
Contact Us Today
To learn more about the body contouring procedures we provide and the benefits involved, we recommend scheduling a consultation with Dr. Berbari. You can contact our office today online, or by calling (819) 243-7667.