Lifestyle Changes before Plastic Surgery
Few people are completely satisfied with their appearance. Fortunately, plastic surgery offers patients the opportunity to address areas of concern and enhance their natural beauty. Dr. Patricia Berbari offers a wide range of cosmetic surgery procedures to improve body contours, reverse signs of aging, and increase a patient’s confidence. Dr. Berbari’s extensive experience ensures that these cosmetic treatments will safely and effectively provide patients with the aesthetic results they desire. However, patients must do their part as well. It is important that patients prepare their body for surgical treatment. Here, we suggest a number of lifestyle changes before plastic surgery that our Gatineau, QC patients should make to minimize the risks of treatment, speed up the recovery process, and optimize the results of surgery.
Preparing the Body for Surgery
Prior to any plastic surgery procedure, Dr. Berbari will perform an extensive exam and consultation to ensure that the patient is an ideal candidate for cosmetic treatment. Surgery will never be performed on a patient who is found to be at an increased risk of surgical complications. That being said, even ideal surgical candidates can benefit from some lifestyle changes before plastic surgery. The following changes will further increase the likelihood of a safe, successful surgery and optimal surgical results:
- Maintain a well-balanced diet: Everyone is encouraged to maintain a well-balanced diet that is rich in vitamins and nutrients and low in sugars and fats. However, a healthy eating plan is especially important in the weeks leading up to plastic surgery. A diet that is high in fiber and protein and rich in vitamins and nutrients will help the body heal after surgery and promote a speedy recovery.
- Stay active: The body is designed to be physically active and it is important to take advantage of that. Patients should aim for at least 30 minutes of cardiovascular activity three to five times a week. This activity level will help patients maintain a healthy weight and will keep the body strong and healthy so that it heals properly after surgery.
- Avoid tobacco products: Any patient who smokes or uses chewing tobacco will need to quit several weeks before surgery. These products should be avoided during the patient’s recovery period. Tobacco products can lengthen recovery time and increase the risk of infection.
- Refrain from using aspirin: Aspirin thins the blood, which can be dangerous before surgery. In order to minimize the risk of post-surgical complications, patients should refrain from using aspirin in the weeks leading up to surgery. There are other medications that may also increase the risks of surgery, so it is important to let Dr. Berbari know about any medications that you take. During a pre-surgical consultation, Dr. Berbari will make any necessary recommendations regarding medication use prior to treatment.
- Abstain from alcohol: Moderate drinking does not pose any serious health risks. However, alcohol and surgery are not a good combination. To ensure that the body is as healthy as possible prior to surgery, it is a good idea to abstain from alcohol in the weeks leading up to surgery, as well as during the recovery period.
Schedule an Appointment
Dr. Patricia Berbari is a highly experienced plastic surgeon. If you are interested in plastic surgery to enhance your natural beauty, you can count on Dr. Berbari to provide you with the highest quality of care. To learn more about our wide range of cosmetic treatments, schedule an appointment with Dr. Berbari at your earliest convenience.