The Different Types of Breast Implants
By Patricia Berbari on May 14, 2013
Breast augmentation surgery is a great option for women to consider if they want to increase the size and/or enhance the contours of their breasts. When you meet with a skilled Gatineau plastic surgeon to discuss you surgical options, you'll be able to find out if breast enlargement surgery is the ideal option for you and your needs.
With that in mind, we should note that there are many different decisions and options that have to be made regarding the surgery. This is especially true when it comes to the breast implants themselves. There's more to breast implants than just their size, so let's consider the types of breast implants that are out there right now.
Composition of Breast Implants
In terms of filling/composition, there are three different kinds of breast implants:
- Saline breast implants - Saline breast implants consist of a silicone outer shell filled with a saline solution.
- Silicone breast implants - Silicone breast implants consist of a silicone outer shell filled with silicone gel.
- Cohesive gel breast implants - Cohesive gel breast implants consist of multiple layers of silicone around specially formulated silicone gel. These kinds of breast implants are sometimes referred to as "gummy bear breast implants."
We'll be sure to discuss all of these composition options in more detail during your visit to our cosmetic surgery centre in Gatineau.
Size of Breast Implants
Breast implants come in many different sizes depending on the needs and wishes of the patient. We would like to note at this time that bigger is not always better when it comes to breast implants, as some women will find that just slight boosts in size can lead to major improvements in overall figure.
Shape of Breast Implants
There are two different types of breast implant shape commonly used during Gatineau breast augmentation surgery:
- Round breast implants - Round breast implants are breast implants that are shaped a bit like a sphere that has been partially smashed.
- Teardrop-shaped breast implants - Teardrop-shaped breast implants are breast implants that are more narrow and thin at the top and then slope out. The contour is similar to the appearance of a natural breast.
Projection/Profile of Breast Implants
Profile and projection of the breast implants refers to how far the breast implant will project forward. There are generally three profiles for breast implants:
- High-profile breast implants
- Moderate-profile breast implants
- Low-profile breast implants
The higher the profile, the more the breast implants will project. Most breast implants are moderate-profile by default.
Texture and Breast Implants
Breast implants come in either smooth or textured form. The majority of breast implants are smooth, though textured implants are used to help keep the breast implant from shifting out of place. This texture on breast implants is usually ideal with teardrop-shaped breast implants given their shape and contour.
Which type of breast implants are ideal for me?
There are many different factors that will determine the best breast implants for you and your needs, and a Gatineau plastic surgeon will be able to make those decisions during your consultation. Generally the following factors will determine the best implant to use:
- Body type
- Aesthetic goals
- Existing breast tissue
- Incisions used for surgery
- Placement of the breast implant in the breast pocket
Schedule a Consultation for Breast Enlargement Surgery
If you would like more information about breast augmentation surgery and your many other options for aesthetic enhancement, be sure to contact our Gatineau cosmetic plastic surgery practice today. The entire team looks forward to meeting you in person and helping you achieve all of your aesthetic goals.
Related to This
“Dr Berbari est un excellent médecin - le meilleur qu'il y ait.” Carol, Chirurgie Plastique Patient